Bicycle Accident Attorney — Fullerton, CA
Fullerton Bicycle Accident Attorney
There are a multitude of benefits to riding a bicycle, such as improved mental and physical health, reduced carbon emissions, and less traffic on the road. Yet there are dangers as well. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), nearly 1,000 bicyclists die and over 130,000 are injured in bicycle accidents every year.
If you suffered injuries because of another driver in a Fullerton bicycle accident, our bike accident attorneys can help you receive the compensation you deserve. Our legal team will investigate your case, gather information, and file a claim against the driver who caused you pain. We are 100% dedicated to getting bicycle accident victims maximum compensation. Call us today to schedule your no-risk, free consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer.
8+ YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AS A FULLERTON BIKE ACCIDENT LAWYER
After a bicycle accident, your #1 priority should be healing. Whether you sustained a broken bone or a more serious injury, getting medical treatment is crucial after an accident. Your next priority should be seeking the guidance of a qualified bicycle accident attorney. At Commonwealth Accident Attorneys, we have over 8 years of experience dealing with bicycle-motor vehicle crashes and injured victims. We take these cases very seriously because we understand the financial hardship an accident causes.
Our Fullerton bicycle accident lawyers will help build a strong claim, from gathering evidence to negotiating with the insurance company. We will use our expertise to help you obtain the maximum amount of your settlement, and not the lowball offer from the insurance. In helping you achieve success, we will never charge any upfront legal fees until and unless we win your bicycle accident case.
If you are deciding whether or not to hire a Fullerton bike accident attorney, do not wait too long. Injured bikers have only two years from the date of their accident to file a claim under California’s statute of limitations. If you do not act within this time, you will lose your right to full and fair compensation. Let us know when you’re ready to begin your bike accident case.
WHAT TYPES OF DAMAGES CAN YOU GET IN A FULLERTON BICYCLE ACCIDENT CLAIM?
A bicycle accident claim will vary depending on several factors, including the severity of the accident, the injuries, and the other party involved. When speaking with a bicycle accident lawyer, they will walk you through two types of damages you may be eligible to recover: economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are monetary losses incurred as a result of an injury or accident, such as medical bills and lost wages. They include:
- Past and future medical expenses: Medical treatment including hospital bills, doctor’s visits, surgery, and other related expenses.
- Lost income: Compensation for lost wages or income that you would have received if not for the injury.
- Property damage: If your bike or other personal property was damaged, you may be entitled to compensation for the repairs or replacement.
Non-economic damages are non-financial losses that are more subjective and harder to measure. They can include:
- Pain and suffering: This includes compensation for physical and emotional pain suffered as a result of the accident
- Loss of quality of life: If you experience a diminished quality of life since the accident, you may be able to receive compensation.
- Emotional distress: Bicycle accident victims may be able to recover compensation for anxiety, depression, fear, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Permanent physical damage: If you suffer a disability or disfigurement as a result of the accident, you may be compensated for rehabilitation and long term care.
An experienced bicycle accident attorney can help you calculate your total losses and present them to the insurance company. To get an estimate of your claim, call us to set up an appointment.
Assessing Fault in Bicycle Accidents in Fullerton, CA
In a personal injury lawsuit, the person who caused the accident and injuries is responsible for paying damages. Therefore, if your accident was caused by a driver who ran a red light, he or she is liable. When speaking with a lawyer, you will likely hear the word “negligence” used a lot. Negligence is the legal term for carelessness, or failing to act as a reasonable person would in a given situation. If your accident was caused by someone else's negligence, you have grounds to pursue a claim.
California follows pure comparative negligence law. This means that each person’s level of negligence determines the amount each person pays in damages. Injury victims can collect damages even if they are 99% at fault for an accident. However, compensation will be reduced according to the percentage of fault.
CAUSES OF BICYCLE ACCIDENTS IN FULLERTON
With over 140,000 residents, Fullerton is one of the largest cities in Orange County and is home to a large student population from Cal State Fullerton and Fullerton College. With year-round good weather and a compact downtown, many residents and students are choosing to commute by bike instead of car. However, it’s important for drivers and bicyclists to understand the risks. Bike and motor vehicle accidents are happening more frequently.
According to the latest data from the California Office of Traffic Safety, there were 569 traffic injuries and fatalities in Fullerton. Of those crashes, 21 bicyclists were either killed or injured. Like the rest of Orange County, bike accidents in Fullerton are commonly caused by driver negligence. Oftentimes, drivers do not take the proper care to look or yield for bicyclists and pedestrians, especially in urban areas. Unfortunately, the ones who are seriously injured are cyclists and other vulnerable people on the road. Below are some common causes of bicycle accidents in Fullerton:
- Distracted driving
- Poor road conditions
- Unsafe passing
- Lack of bike lanes
- Unsafe turns
- Aggressive driving
- Poor visibility due to weather conditions
- Intoxicated driving (DUI)
- Unsafe speed
- Defective bicycle
CSUF students who bike to school are especially at risk. If you or someone you know was hit by a driver while riding a bike, you may be entitled to compensation.
COMMON BICYCLE ACCIDENT INJURIES
Bicycle accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to more serious, catastrophic injuries. Bike accident victims may sustain these common injuries:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI): TBIs are among the most serious and potentially life changing injuries that can result from a bicycle accident. TBIs can cause long-term cognitive and physical impairments.
- Fractures: Fractures or broken bones are also common in bicycle accidents, particularly in the arms, legs, and collarbones.
- Soft tissue injuries: Contusions, sprains, and strains can result from a collision with a motor vehicle.
- Spinal cord injuries: A spine injury can occur when the spinal cord is compressed or severed, resulting in paralysis or other long-term disabilities.
- Internal injuries: The force of impact in a bicycle accident can cause damage to internal organs or internal bleeding.
- Road rash: This occurs when a cyclist’s skin makes contact with the pavement or other surfaces, resulting in cuts, scrapes, and abrasions.
- Dental injuries: Dental or facial injuries can occur when a cyclist’s face strikes the ground or another object, resulting in chipped or broken teeth.
- Wrongful death: If your loved one was killed in a bike crash, surviving family members may be able to file a wrongful death claim.
If you suffered one of these serious injuries, you have the legal right to pursue a bike accident claim and seek adequate compensation. Contact our Fullerton bicycle accident lawyers for more information.
WHAT ARE CALIFORNIA’S BICYCLE LAWS?
As a bicyclist, it is important to know the laws and rules of the road to avoid an accident. Bike riders must obey traffic laws and follow the same rules as motor vehicle drivers. Below are some of the most important bike laws to keep yourself and others safe:
- All bicyclists under the age of 18 are required to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle on a street, bikeway, or public bicycle path or trail.
- Bicyclists must follow the same traffic laws as motorists, including obeying traffic signals, yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks, and riding on the right side of the road.
- Bicyclists must use a front white light and a red rear reflector when riding at night.
California drivers are required to maintain three feet of distance when passing a cyclist under The Three Feet for Safety Act. In addition to requiring a minimum distance of three feet, the law also allows drivers to pass bicyclists by crossing over into the adjacent lane, if it is safe to do so. Another updated law allows electric bicycles on bike paths, bike trails, and recreational trails.
WHAT SHOULD I DO AFTER A BICYCLE ACCIDENT?
If you are involved in a bicycle accident in Fullerton, it’s important to take the following steps to protect your well-being and legal rights:
1. Seek medical attention
If you are injured, seek medical attention immediately. Even if you feel fine, it’s still a good idea to get checked out by a medical professional to ensure that you don’t have any hidden injuries.
2. Call the police
Call the Fullerton police to report the accident. They can help document the scene and create an accident report, which can be useful if you need to file a claim.
3. Exchange information
Exchange contact and insurance information with the other parties involved in the accident, including drivers, passengers, and witnesses. Be sure to get the other party’s name, phone number, and insurance information.
4. Document the scene
Take photos of the accident scene, including damage to your bike and any injuries you sustained.
5. Contact a qualified bicycle accident lawyer
If you sustained injuries in the accident, consider consulting with a Fullerton bicycle accident lawyer. They can give free case evaluation, help you understand your legal rights and options, and work to recover compensation for your injuries and other damages.
It’s important to act quickly after a bicycle accident to ensure that you get the medical attention and legal help you need. Remember to stay calm and focused and avoid discussing the details of the accident with the other parties involved or the insurance company until you have spoken with a personal injury lawyer.
Call a Fullerton Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Whether you were injured riding down Harbor Boulevard or cruising through Fullerton’s historic Downtown District, our Fullerton bike accident lawyers understand the risk bike riders face every day. If you or someone you know was injured in a Fullerton bicycle accident, our experienced legal team at Commonwealth Accident Attorneys has the experience and resources to win your bicycle accident case. Join a free call with an attorney by calling or sending a message online.
Commonwealth Accident Attorneys will help you win your traffic accident case with expert knowledge. Contact our experienced auto accident attorney to discuss your legal options at no cost if you suffered injuries in a severe car accident in Fullerton, California.